Our DPM 2012 server suddenly ran very low and at one point ran out of space recently. I found that it had generated almost 100Gb of error logs in its temp folder (C:Program FilesMicrosoft System Center 2012 DPMDPMTemp)! After removing those I got to the main problem that when I started the DPM Console I received the below error:
Connection to the DPM service has been lost
Review the application event log for information about a possible service shutdown. Verify that the following services are not disabled: DPM DPM Replication Agent SQLAgent$MSDPM2010 MSSQL$MSDPM2010 Virtual Disk Service Volume Shadow Copy
Following this we also had an error in the eventlog – 999:
The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
An unexpected error caused a failure for process ‘msdpm’. Restart the DPM process ‘msdpm’.
<FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>157</Seq><TimeCreated>04/07/2013 10:16:08</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.Alerts.AlertUtils.DeletePartialCloudBackupSuccessAlerts(SqlContext ctx, Guid datasourceId)
at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentManager.DeleteAlertsForCloud(IMCatalogDB imCatalog, Guid datasourceId)
at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentManager.HandleAlertsCleanup(IMCatalogDB imCatalog, Datasource dataSource, ProtectedGroupDB protectedGroup)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
So I hopped onto SQL Management studio and ran a check on the database just to be sure everything was ok with that – locate the MSDPM DB and open a query, run:
That took about 2 mins for our DB to run – our DB is 5Gb. And reported as no problems.
Next I needed to check the database was synced with the DPM clients, to do this open a DPM Management Shell and run:
Again this took around 5 minutes. After that our console loaded correctly.